- Dog walkers charge at least $10-$60, but most dog owners spend at least $15- $25 per walk. However, this also depends on the client’s location. In addition, a dog walker guarantees a $5-$10 discount if you allow your dog to move around with other dogs. (Source)
- Your dog’s duration for a walk determines the amount you will be charged. In most cases, 30 minutes of walking service for your dog can cost you $19 to $29. On the other hand, the average amount the dog walker can charge you for 30 minutes is $22.56. (Source)
- A 60-minutes dog walking service ranges between $30-$60 depending on your dog walker. Furthermore, dogs require at least 1 to 2 walks daily. (Source)
- A recent survey shows that multiple dog walkers have an average gross revenue of $50,000 to $100,000. Furthermore, a third of dog walkers said that the average gross revenue is likely to rise between 10%- 50%. (Source)
- Due to the significant growth of dog ownership in the United States, dog walkers are in high demand. This industry was hit hard in 2020 because of the Coronavirus. However, it is back on its feet and has shown positive changes in 2022. (Source)
You must understand that the average cost of dog walkers is usually consistent. However, this consistency can be broken by a rise in service costs.
Remember that experienced pet handlers with more experience are likely to charge their clients more. Here is an overview of several factors that affect how much the dog walker can charge.
Location is among the primary factors affecting dog walking charges. Remember, dog walkers usually use two or even a single route. Therefore, before asking them to take your dog, confirm if you are near their location.
If you do not confirm, you might cover their entire traveling expenses. To stick to your budget, find a Dog walker close to you.
Number of dogs
Many dog owners usually love their dogs walking with other dogs. This is advantageous because they are guaranteed a discount of at least $5 to $10. A few dog walkers might not charge additional costs if you own several dogs.
However, some will charge you $2 to $4. On the other hand, some dog walkers might require you to pay 50% of the cost of your second pet.
Number of walks
There are different kinds of dog breeds in the industry, and some of them require a single walk each day while some do a few times a week because exercise is a requirement for them. Therefore, dog walking companies or dog walkers provide low rates, especially for the volume service subscription.
Similarly, some dog walkers may charge you more for extra walks. Thus, ensure you consult with your dog walker to understand what they are likely to offer for three or more dogs daily, especially if you want the walks to be private.
Sometimes the additional fee is unavoidable. This means you have to determine which services are crucial to your dog and how much they cost for a dog owner willing to pay. You must know that they are two types of extra fees.
One is based on the time of the day and year, while the other fee is for providing additional services. During holidays, the dog walker charges increase significantly.
Administering medication and feeding might cost you extra charges. In most cases, dog walkers might not charge you for a few additional services, but there are a few that may require you to dig deeper into your pocket.
Certifications and regulations
The needs of your dog can be affected by the state’s regulations. Furthermore, pet laws vary from one state to another. Some states do not need pet vaccination for dog walking services, but some companies offer vaccination to protect the dog walker and the dog itself.
In a nutshell, ensure you research your local and state laws and ensure your dog walker follows them to the latter.
When hiring a dog walker, it’s important to agree on a rate and schedule that works for both of you. You’ll also want to make sure that the dog walker is available when you need them. It’s important to understand how pricing works so that you can find a dog walker who fits your budget.
The average cost of hiring a dog walker is $15-25 per hour. However, rates can vary depending on factors such as the length of the walk, location, and number of dogs. For example, a dog walker in a rural area may charge less than a dog walker in a major city.
It’s also important to consider how often you’ll need the dog walker. If you only need someone to walk your dog once a week, you may be able to find a cheaper rate. However, if you need someone to walk your dog multiple times a week, you may have to pay a higher rate.
When hiring a dog walker, it’s important to agree on a rate and schedule that works for both of you. You’ll also want to make sure that the dog walker is available when you need them.
How to hire an excellent dog walker
When it comes to hiring a dog walker, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind. Here are four key points to consider:
1. Make sure the dog walker is experienced and trustworthy: This is probably the most important factor to consider when hiring a dog walker. You’ll want to make sure that the person you’re trusting with your furry friend is someone who is experienced and can be trusted. There are a few ways to vet potential dog walkers, including asking for references and checking online reviews.
2. Choose a dog walker who is a good fit for your dog’s personality: Every dog is different, so it’s important to find a dog walker who is compatible with your pup’s personality. For example, if your dog is shy or anxious, you’ll want to find someone who is patient and gentle. On the other hand, if your dog is high energy, you’ll want to find someone who can keep up with them on long walks and runs.
3. Consider your dog’s exercise needs: One of the main reasons people hire dog walkers is to make sure their pups get enough exercise. So, when you’re looking for a dog walker, it’s important to consider your dog’s exercise needs. If your dog is relatively low energy, a short walk around the block may be sufficient. However, if your dog is high energy, they may need a longer walk or even a run.
4. Discuss payment and scheduling upfront: Before you hire a dog walker, it’s important to discuss payment and scheduling. You’ll want to agree on a rate and schedule that works for both of you. It’s also important to make sure that the dog walker is available when you need them. For example, if you work long hours and need someone to walk your dog in the evening, you’ll want to make sure the dog walker is available at that time.
4. Find out if the dog walker is insured and bonded: This is another important factor to consider when hiring a dog walker. You’ll want to make sure that the person you’re trusting with your furry friend is someone who is insured and bonded in case of any accidents or incidents.
5. Ask for references from past clients: This is a great way to get a sense of whether or not a potential dog walker is someone you can trust. Asking for references from past clients will give you an idea of the person’s character and how they interact with dogs. Online dog walking sites will have public reviews that you can read as well.
6. Get a meet and greet with the dog walker before scheduling any walks: This is an important step in the process of hiring a dog walker. Meeting the person beforehand will give you a chance to get to know them and make sure they’re a good fit for your needs. It’s also a good opportunity to ask any questions you may have.
7. Take your time: Hiring a dog walker is a big decision. So, it’s important to take your time and find someone who you feel comfortable with. Once you find the right person, you’ll be able to relax knowing that your dog is in good hands.
Hiring a dog walker can be a great way to make sure your pup gets the exercise they need. However, it’s important to do your research and find someone who is experienced, trustworthy, and a good fit for your dog’s personality.
Once you find the right person, you’ll be able to relax knowing that your dog is in good hands. Taking the time to find the right person will ensure that your furry friend gets the exercise and attention they need while you’re away.
What sites are there to hire a dog walker online?
Some popular online sites that allow you to search for and hire a dog walker include:
- Rover.com: This site allows you to search for dog walkers in your area. You can read reviews from past clients and contact potential walkers directly.
- Wag.com: This site also allows you to search for dog walkers in your area. You can read reviews, see photos of the walkers, and contact them directly.
- Care.com: This site offers a variety of services, including dog walking. You can read reviews, see photos, and contact potential walkers directly.
What questions should I ask a potential dog walker?
When meeting with a potential dog walker, it’s important to ask questions to get to know them better. This will help you determine if they’re a good fit for your needs. Some questions you may want to ask include:
- How long have you been walking dogs?
- Do you have experience with my type of dog?
- What is your availability?
- What are your rates?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- What are your policies if something happens while you’re walking my dog?
Asking questions will help you get to know the potential dog walker and determine if they’re a good fit for you.
Based on these comprehensive posts, there is no single answer regarding how much a dog walker will charge you. However, on average, you are likely to pay $18 to 25% for a 30-minute dog service walk. Therefore, if you are looking forward to hiring a dog walker, at least you are familiarized with how much it is likely to cost you and the factors affecting the price.
Hi, my name’s David. I started this pricing blog as a side project to help people figure out the best prices on common services. Whether you’re trying to figure out how much it costs to get scanning done at Staples or the expense to bleach short hair, more than likely I’ve blogged about it. Shoot me an email if you have any questions: email@example.com.